The SSA is a group of more than 60 gibbon experts globally, with a shared vision of conserving the world’s gibbons. The SSA contributes to gibbon conservation through:
- Strengthening coordination among gibbon conservation projects worldwide;
- Increasing awareness of scientifically-sound practice in gibbon conservation;
- Providing IUCN-endorsed guidelines to conservationists, field scientists and decision makers;
- Developing Conservation Action Plans that clarify priorities in gibbon conservation for practitioners, decision makers and donors;
- Ensuring the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species as a decision tool is thorough and up-to-date.
- Providing direct technical support to implementing projects engaged with gibbon conservation.
The Section on Small Apes gratefully acknowledges the financial support of the Arcus Foundation.